Skip to main content

The BEST Part of Autism

    We have talked a lot about the not so fun, draining, sit down and cry, nitty gritty parts of autism. There are a lot of things that many don't give a second thought to but I have to give myself a pep talk for. I have adjusted to that for the most part and it's just part of the daily routine. I can usually have that conversation with myself and go about my day with no tears involved. I can even occasionally laugh my way through the public escapade we occasionally put on.
    But there is another part of autism too. The part that almost made me mad when suggested just after diagnosis. The amazing, awesome, exciting and incredible parts of autism. It might be cliche, but Alden has taught me so much. Fun fact for those of you who don't know, Brandon and I both went to college in the education field. Fairly early on in both of our separate programs we were advised it may be smart to go into special education as there was a growing need and it would make it much easier to get a job in the future. Both of us, separately at this phase of our lives, decided that while this was an admirable profession, we just didn't have the patience that was needed for that kind of thing. I imagine on that day God had a good chuckle and I have to appreciate his sense of humor.
Little did we know, we would soon learn SO much about patience and strength....the kind we never knew we were capable of.
    Not only has Alden taught us so much, he has helped make Jude into the amazing loving, kind and compassionate young man he is. There is no classic sibling rivalry. I never have to hear "Mooooooom Alden isn't sharing" or "Alden is touching my stuff". My nieces and nephews are about the same age and are constantly fighting. It is a right of passage when growing up with siblings. But something I as a parent, can't say I'm disappointed to skip ;-)
    We have learned to appreciate every little step. The steps we unfortunately under appreciated with Jude. The first wave, point, bubble blown, or coloring page.  We get to see the beauty of the purest joy known during Earthly existence and for Alden it usually comes from swinging outside or popping bubbles. I wish I could be so easily enthralled!  He is so good and innocent. There is no greed or jealousy. That is how he finds such joy in the 'simple' things.
    Alden will never be to old or to cool to snuggle with me. I will admit I was slightly and very briefly disappointed when the doctor announced "It's a boy" in the middle of my c-section. We had known this would be our last child and decided to not find out the gender during our ultrasound. I had a feeling during my pregnancy that I was carrying a girl but for fear it was wishful thinking, I rarely shared that thought. My biggest fear in being a boy mom was that I wouldn't have the relationship with my children that I have with my mother. Even as an adult we hug and kiss and cuddle just like we did when I was 5yrs old. Don't believe me.....
     I knew my sons wouldn't do this into their teen/adult years. Honestly I wouldn't want them to, nobody likes a clingy momma's boy ;-) but Alden doesn't know or care that it isn't socially acceptable to sit on your moms lap and squeeze her in a giant bear hug....and I am SO thankful Alden will always be my snuggle baby, even when he's not so little.
  These are a few of the many blessings I count on the days when I'm feeling overwhelmed and start to question why God ever found us deserving of such an extraordinary gift. We truly feel blessed to have been entrusted with such a unique life. That doesn't change the fact that we are realists and have incredibly weak moments while working our way through this crazy beautiful journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Talking my Love Language

    WHEW, it has been a crazy week in the VanEtten home and in the calm after the storm I have been doing some reflection. I quickly decided I couldn't get through this crazy life with out my best friend by my side, every step of the way. It doesn't hurt he's not bad on the eyes either if you know what I mean ;-) Brandon knows by now how I respond to the chaos and when to encourage me to keep trucking and when to just hold me; not saying a word. Not trying to help for fix anything for me, just let me be still and sad or grumpy or whatever I'm feeling at that moment.     When we were first married a friend gave us a book called the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It is really interesting insight and I encourage you to check it out. You can even take the free love languages quiz online by clicking  HERE.   Your love language could be words of affirmation, physical touch, acts of service, receiving gifts or quality time. Now sure, I enjoy all of these things but my hi

Regression, oh how I despise thee

    One of the big red flags of autism is regression.   Developmental regression  is when a child loses an acquired skill. For example some children with autism will be developing on schedule and suddenly loose verbal skills. In a way I think this would be harder than the child that either never or very slowly develops these skills. Watching your child make gains and suddenly loose them has to be  devastating .      We caught on to Alden's autism very early as he was missing milestones all along rather than meeting them and then regressing. That is not to say we haven't experienced regression of skills with him. We started resources for Alden before his first birthday. He was working with different teachers and therapists through the LISD. We pretty quickly noticed a pattern in his newly acquired skills. He would be starting to catch on to something and we would then miss sessions due to him being sick of scheduled days off and he would quickly loose what we had gained. It def

What do I want to be When I grow up

a mommy a singer an actress a teacher an athletic trainer a crime scene investigator  a day care operator     These were my answers to the question from age 4-18. I dare you to ask me today, keeping in mind I will be turning 30 this year. For the last 8 years I have been a mommy. Which was number one on my to-do list. I have cared for other kids while their mommies went to work but I have always struggled with what I was 'doing'. What was I doing to contribute to society, make the world a better place?      Don't get me wrong, staying home with kids full time was often MORE strenuous than the job I previously had working in a physical therapy office. And I don't (always) doubt my contribution to my children's lives and molding them into the kind, smart, loving gentlemen they are. I have just always felt like I should be doing more.     I had kept journals, more like scribblings really, when I was staying home with my first born. It wasn't until the bir