Skip to main content

You cant pour from an empty pitcher: Taking care of yourself so you can take care of everyone else

I've said it before and I will say it again WE ARE SO BLESSED. We have the best support system and if we hit a snag we quickly have people offering to help. The thing we aren't so good at, accepting that help. With that being said I'm am obviously no expert in taking care of myself. Whether it is an ice breaker when meeting new people or asked during an interview, I hate the question "what are your hobbies" hobby? Do people still have time for those?  I guess as I sit here typing I could now answer blogging is my hobby. It is something I enjoy and not something I HAVE to do. Well would you look at that I have a hobby!
    Aside from blogging my favorite go to "me time" is a long hot uninterrupted shower, a dinner date with a girlfriend, or snuggling up with several blankets and some junk food watching movies. I envy people who say running or the gym is their de-stressing 'me time'. I can't help but think they are lying, if we are being honest my list sounds way more fun don't you think?
    The problem is I do those things very rarely. I feel like I'm not as good of a friend as I used to be. I mean if one of them called and needed me I would be there in a second but I'm so out of the loop with their daily lives. I'm so thankful for my best and longest friend. We have such a history and so much love that we can go months without catching up and still pick up right where we left off.
    Movies are usually animated and if they aren't I don't get to them until after the kids are asleep so I'm doing good to stay awake for half of it. While I do shower daily....usually ;-) don't lie mom's we've all been there, it's all business. Get in, get clean, get out. If I'm in there more than 10 minutes it's while being serenaded by Jude while he sits on the toilet or Alden hurriedly disrobing yelling "shower, clean!" because he has decided he is sole owner of the shower and heaven forbid any one else use it!
    I have always been a people person. I remember not long after Jude was born Brandon was having a hard time understanding me and why I NEVER wanted to be alone. We were married, didn't he want to spend every waking second with me!?!? I remember at one point him saying he just needed some alone time every now and then. I was so hurt, that made NO sense to me. It wouldn't take me long to figure it out. By the time Alden was born I enjoyed getting groceries because it got me out of the house and I would take my sweet time to avoid any one needing me for just a few more minutes.
     Flash forward 7 years later and I still look forward to those few minutes I can steal. Even if it's just once a week; of being alone, still and quiet. Even just a couple minutes are hard to find daily!  A couple months ago I started massage school. I was terrified how I would balance everything I already do along with being a student. On the plus side, as a massage student I am getting fairly regular massages for the first time in my life. I have to tell you, that alone has done wonders for how I feel on a daily basis but that is a whole other post ;-) Something I am slowly (very slowly according to my husband) getting better at, is saying no. My plate is so full yet I keep coming up with ideas of other ways I can 'help' or saying yes to anyone else' suggestion or request for me. The thing I have slowly started to realize is through all of these efforts I spread myself so thin that I am no good to anyone! Worst of all I have emptied my tank and have no energy or patience left for my own family. That is no way to live, and in the end I'm doing the opposite of what I am seeking out to do. By then I'm not helping anyone. I'm am in fact no fun to be around at all.    
      So mom's, while saying no to another addition to your plate or sneaking away for a couple hours to catch up with a friend can feel selfish at the time.....think of it as maintenance. You wouldn't neglect a car by never filling it with gas or doing an oil change and expect it to keep running would you? Take care of yourself! And help your husband carve out that time for his self maintenance as well! You're a team remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He aint heavy, he's my brother: having a brother with autism

   I told you all this post would come over spring break. The reason it's just getting posted now is because Jude was busy playing with Alden! I am so happy to report that these two, who already have an amazing bond and such a sweet special love are growing even closer as Alden is welcoming Jude more and more into his world. With that being said, I have also put off posting because although Jude wrote this post I am typing it up for him, and it's been even more emotional than I was prepared for. Jude is the BEST big brother and is continually amazes me with his strength and grace. However there are struggles with being the sibling of a child with autism and this has been the first time he has really expressed them.  So please enjoy the beautiful, sad and raw honestly of this sweet boy and his experience being the sibling of an autistic child.                                                      pictured above: guest blogger Jude VanEtten getting a smooch from Rapunzel    

You're Talking my Love Language

    WHEW, it has been a crazy week in the VanEtten home and in the calm after the storm I have been doing some reflection. I quickly decided I couldn't get through this crazy life with out my best friend by my side, every step of the way. It doesn't hurt he's not bad on the eyes either if you know what I mean ;-) Brandon knows by now how I respond to the chaos and when to encourage me to keep trucking and when to just hold me; not saying a word. Not trying to help for fix anything for me, just let me be still and sad or grumpy or whatever I'm feeling at that moment.     When we were first married a friend gave us a book called the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It is really interesting insight and I encourage you to check it out. You can even take the free love languages quiz online by clicking  HERE.   Your love language could be words of affirmation, physical touch, acts of service, receiving gifts or quality time. Now sure, I enjoy all of these things but my hi

Regression, oh how I despise thee

    One of the big red flags of autism is regression.   Developmental regression  is when a child loses an acquired skill. For example some children with autism will be developing on schedule and suddenly loose verbal skills. In a way I think this would be harder than the child that either never or very slowly develops these skills. Watching your child make gains and suddenly loose them has to be  devastating .      We caught on to Alden's autism very early as he was missing milestones all along rather than meeting them and then regressing. That is not to say we haven't experienced regression of skills with him. We started resources for Alden before his first birthday. He was working with different teachers and therapists through the LISD. We pretty quickly noticed a pattern in his newly acquired skills. He would be starting to catch on to something and we would then miss sessions due to him being sick of scheduled days off and he would quickly loose what we had gained. It def