Skip to main content

Am I letting my kid be a jerk?

    I will humbly admit I can't tell you how old Jude was the first time he said "I love you". Many of his firsts and milestones were taken for granted as they were just expected. This is something Alden has taught our family; never take any of those things for granted. There are some parents who will never hear their child's sweet voice, never see a first step, never feel their child's little arms wrapped around their neck in a tight loving embrace. EVERY new thing is celebrated no matter how seemingly small.
    Because of this appreciation for every new thing, we have found ourselves celebrating things our child does that other parents would punish their child for. For example, the first time Alden through a full on toddler temper tantrum we were ECSTATIC! This was the first time we saw a 'typical' display of frustration rather than an expression of discomfort/pain caused by his sensory processing disorder. It was the first peak at a developing personality. We were tickled pink watching him flop on the floor arching his back kicking and screaming.
     Recently he was at school and another child took a toy away from him.  While many parents work on sharing with their children, we have never had that problem. Alden has never cared enough about something or been present enough to care if something was taken from him. Not this day! On this particular day he was playing and a child walked up and took the toy right out of his hands. Alden went up to the child and yanked it right back out of his hands and walked away. Someone hand me some pom-poms.....GOOOOO ALDEN. Number one, he was appropriately playing with something and was present enough to be upset when it was taken for him. Number two, he stood up for himself which is a skill he will need as he grows.
    Our newest development is shushing. The first time he displayed this new skill was when he and I were at an appointment. We were in an office with a therapist sitting at his desk. After about 10 minutes of us talking Alden decided he was done. I noticed him struggling to put his coat on, cuing me he has decided it's time to leave. I told him, "Alden not yet, we have to finish" he continued trying to get his coat on, I assume believing I was bluffing. The therapist and I continued our conversation as he paced back and forth occasionally swinging around like a dog trying to catch his own tail, in attempt to get his second sleeve on. Success! He managed to get his coat on so naturally NOW it's go time. He heads to the door where I quickly have to jump in front of him or he would happily leave without me. I explained we needed a few more minutes to finish up. He was clearly unimpressed but chose to sit in the chair next to the therapists desk. We resumed our conversation wrapping up the plan for our following appointment.  Alden suddenly stands up from his chair, positions himself directly between the man and myself, peering into my eyes loudly and adamantly "shhhhh!" I knew this was him saying "Could you shut it already, I said I want to go!" I burst into laughter. Now to an outsider, my almost 7 year old standing between two adults having a conversation and shushing us is incredibly rude. I would have to agree. But for a child who had no form of communication 6 months ago and still has limited communication skills, this was an amusing resolution of problem solving.
    Since then he has shushed his father when he was singing (sorry hunny but if we are all being honest, that was totally fair) shushed a crying baby and his big brother for talking to me when he had decided he needed my undivided attention. I still chuckle after each shush. I realize pretty soon we will have to nip this is the butt and work on an appropriate way for him to request my attention. While we do have to make acceptions in some situations due to his unique abilities, that isn't an excuse to be a jerk. Still, you have to admit, it's pretty funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He aint heavy, he's my brother: having a brother with autism

   I told you all this post would come over spring break. The reason it's just getting posted now is because Jude was busy playing with Alden! I am so happy to report that these two, who already have an amazing bond and such a sweet special love are growing even closer as Alden is welcoming Jude more and more into his world. With that being said, I have also put off posting because although Jude wrote this post I am typing it up for him, and it's been even more emotional than I was prepared for. Jude is the BEST big brother and is continually amazes me with his strength and grace. However there are struggles with being the sibling of a child with autism and this has been the first time he has really expressed them.  So please enjoy the beautiful, sad and raw honestly of this sweet boy and his experience being the sibling of an autistic child.                                                      pictured above: guest blogger Jude VanEtten getting a smooch from Rapunzel    

You're Talking my Love Language

    WHEW, it has been a crazy week in the VanEtten home and in the calm after the storm I have been doing some reflection. I quickly decided I couldn't get through this crazy life with out my best friend by my side, every step of the way. It doesn't hurt he's not bad on the eyes either if you know what I mean ;-) Brandon knows by now how I respond to the chaos and when to encourage me to keep trucking and when to just hold me; not saying a word. Not trying to help for fix anything for me, just let me be still and sad or grumpy or whatever I'm feeling at that moment.     When we were first married a friend gave us a book called the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It is really interesting insight and I encourage you to check it out. You can even take the free love languages quiz online by clicking  HERE.   Your love language could be words of affirmation, physical touch, acts of service, receiving gifts or quality time. Now sure, I enjoy all of these things but my hi

You cant pour from an empty pitcher: Taking care of yourself so you can take care of everyone else

I've said it before and I will say it again WE ARE SO BLESSED. We have the best support system and if we hit a snag we quickly have people offering to help. The thing we aren't so good at, accepting that help. With that being said I'm am obviously no expert in taking care of myself. Whether it is an ice breaker when meeting new people or asked during an interview, I hate the question "what are your hobbies" hobby? Do people still have time for those?  I guess as I sit here typing I could now answer blogging is my hobby. It is something I enjoy and not something I HAVE to do. Well would you look at that I have a hobby!     Aside from blogging my favorite go to "me time" is a long hot uninterrupted shower, a dinner date with a girlfriend, or snuggling up with several blankets and some junk food watching movies. I envy people who say running or the gym is their de-stressing 'me time'. I can't help but think they are lying, if we are being hones